Project Bread's Walk for Hunger is Massachusetts' largest day of community action against hunger!
51st Walk for Hunger: Sunday, May 5 2019
Where: Boston Common
Event Time: 7:30am - 6pm
Event day travel information below
Starting Line Information
Boston Common, Beacon & Charles St.
6:30 am: Check-in/Registration Tents for 5K Run & Walks open on Boston Common
7:30 am: 5K Run starts
8:20 am: Special guests at walk starting line
- Boston Mayor Marty Walsh
- Congressman Jim McGovern
- DTA Commissioner McCue
8:30 am - 9:30 am: Walk for Hunger starting line (for both 3-mile & 20-mile routes)
10:00 am - 5:00 pm: Kids Zone, Hunger Solutions Village, Live Music, and more (free & open to the public on Boston Common)
- Inflatable Slide
- Balloon Animals
- Face Painting
- New England Revolution Soccer Kick Simulator
- Dance Performances
- Boston Lindy Bomb Squad
- Boston Latin Step Squad
- Instructor-led Yoga
- Project Bread Chef's Live Cooking Demo
- Live Music
Hunger Solutions Village
Meet Project Bread's partners and learn about programs that you are supporting through the Walk for Hunger!
- Gaining Ground
- Summer Eats
- Mayor's Office of Food Access
- Project Bread's Child Nutrition Outreach Program (CNOP)
- #RaiseTheIssue of Hunger in MA Campaign
- Fresh Truck
- Lovin' Spoonfuls
20-Mile Walk Route Entertainment
(as of 3/27/19)
8:00 am - 10:00 am - Boston Common Start Line
- Keytar Bear
- Keytar Bear needs no introduction. But just in case you haven't seen him doing his thang before, he is a well-known busker who plays all around the city of Boston at T stations and in public parks. he plays a wide variety of music on his keytar, a guitar and electronic keyboard hybrid. Oh, and he's a bear.
- Boston Lindy Bomb Squad
- The Boston Lindy Bomb Squad is a group of swing dancers dedicated to spreading the joy of Lindy Hop by swing dancing in unconventional spaces in and around Boston.
- Boston Latin Step Squad
- The Boston Latin Step Squad is a school-based organization dedicated to teaching the fundamentals of stepping, which includes discipline, precision, and personal style in a friendly and diverse environment to its members while encouraging academic success.
9:00 am - 10:15 am - Steps of the Temple Beth Zion (between Checkpoint 1 & 2)
- Boston Minstrels
- The Boston Minstrels have been bringing live popular music into shelters and prisons for over 25 years. Each event is an energetic program of interactive singing and dancing. The benefits of connection and joy bring about a heightened sense of well-being.
10:00 am - 11:30 am - Outside of Cleveland Circle (right after Checkpoint 2)
- Shark Bite Mike
- Just a guy seriously jamming out on a harmonica
10:00 am - 3:00 pm - Greenough Blvd. (between Checkpoint 5 & 6)
- Drumbodhi plays a mixture of Africa, Afro-Cuban, and Caribbean rhythms that will put a spring in your step!
- The Cantabile Band
- The Cantabille Renaissance Band specializes in the music of the 16th dance music - pavannes, galliards, and round dances.
Event Day Travel Information
Ride the MBTA FREE!
Closest T stops:
- Red & Green lines: Park St.
- Orange line: Downtown Crossing
The MBTA will once again offer free transportation to Boston Common on bus, subway, and commuter rail lines for all walk participants between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m! An exception will be made in instances where commuter rail Sunday service starts after 9:00 a.m. In those cases, participants boarding the first morning inbound train will be allowed to travel free. Participants will need to print or display this Walk for Hunger Participant MBTA badge on their cell phone to MBTA station staff for free admission to MBTA services. Participants that utilize stations without staffing will need to utilize station information call boxes to request assistance. Thank you MBTA!
Parking near Boston Common
Please call or contact these garages directly to learn about rates and availability.
The Boston Common Garage (will be open)617-954-2098Zero Charles Street, Boston https://www.massconvention.com/about-us/boston-common-garageHyatt Hotel617-912-12341 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston
Garage at 100 Clarendon100 Clarendon Street617-275-0151http://www.100clarendon.com/Back Bay Garage500 Boylston St.617-266-7006http://boston.lazparking.com/?np_lot=500-boylston-street
Center Plaza Garage75 Somerset StreetBoston, MA 02108617-426-0604http://boston.lazparking.com/?np_lot=center-plaza-garageOne Beacon Street1 Beacon StreetBoston, MA 02108617-227-7220http://www.lazparking.com/local/boston-ma/one-beacon-garage
Road Closures - Sunday May 5, 2019
A complete list of road closures is availble here, please plan your travel accordingly in the morning and early afternoon if traveling in and around Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, or Watertown.
Rain or Shine Event
Project Bread's Walk for Hunger is a rain or shine event! Please check the weather forcast in the morning and prepare accordingly for a safe and positive experience.
For questions or assistance, please contact Project Bread at call 617-723-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn and explore innovative hunger solutions & have fun!