Project Bread’s 49th Walk for Hunger & 5K Run is Sunday, May 7, 2017. Tens of thousands of residents from around the state will participate in the country’s oldest continuous pledge walk, which begins and ends at the Boston Common and weaves through Boston (Back Bay, Kenmore Square, and Allston), Brookline, Newton (Chestnut Hill, Newton Centre, and Newton Corner), Watertown, and Cambridge. Plan your travel around greater Boston on May 7th with this guide to road closures as well as recommended parking and T stops for participants.
- Charles St., between Boylston and Beacon, will be closed to vehicular traffic from 6:00am-12:00pm. Parking on Charles St. will also be restricted. In addition, Boylston St. East- and Westbound feeding into Charles St. will be closed from 6:00am-12:00pm Traffic on Charles St. S. will be diverted at Park Square.
- Commonwealth Ave. outbound, from Arlington St. through Kenmore Square, will be closed from 6:45am-11:00am
- Traffic will be diverted at streets leading to Commonwealth, including Charlesgate E. and W. Traffic on Commonwealth inbound at Kenmore Square will also be diverted.
- Arlington St., between Beacon and Commonwealth Ave., will be closed from 6:45am–11:00am.
- Partial closure of Beacon St. between Charles St. and Arlington St. from 7:00am-12:00pm. Expect traffic delays Beacon St. outbound from Kenmore Square to Park Dr. between 7:00am-12:00pm. Traffic outbound at the intersection of Beacon St. and Park Dr. will be diverted from 7:00am-12:00pm.
- Drivers are asked to use extreme caution on Massachusetts Ave. at the intersection with Commonwealth Ave. where Walkers will be crossing from 11:00am-7:00pm.
- Charlesgate West at Commonwealth Ave. Outbound closed 7:00am - 11:30am.
- Charlesgate East at Commonwealth Ave. closed from 7:00am – 11:30am.
- Expect delays along Commonwealth Ave. from Charlesgate E. to Arlington St. from 11:00am-7:00pm.
- Beacon St. outbound will be partially closed between St. Mary's and Carlton Sts. from 7:00am-12:00pm. Parking on Beacon St. outbound will be restricted.
- Expect traffic delays on Beacon St. from Carlton St. to Ayr Rd. from 7:00am-12:00pm.
- Expect traffic delays and diversions on Beacon St. from Chestnut Hill Ave. to Newton Centre from 8:00am-3:00pm.
- Langley Rd. between Beacon St. and Centre St. will be closed to vehicular traffic from 8:00am-3:00pm. Expect traffic delays and diversions at intersecting streets.
- Drivers are asked to use extreme caution at Newton Corner from 8:00am-4:00pm as Walkers will be crossing from Centre St. over the Washington St. Bridge to continue along Centre St.
- Expect traffic delays and diversions on Centre St. from Langley Rd. to Newton Corner, from 8:00am-3:00pm. Traffic will be diverted at most intersecting streets
- Exit 17 from I-90 Westbound will be closed from 10am until the heavy flow of Walkers subsides (likely around 2:00pm). It is recommended to use Exit 20 for all points North and Exit 16 for all destinations south.
- Drivers are asked to use extreme caution and expect delays on Galen Street from 8:00am – 4:00pm.
- Parking restrictions on Charles River Road from Galen Street to basketball courts near Irving Street 12:00am – 4:00pm on Sunday, May 7th.
- Charles River Road from Basketball Courts near Irving Street to North Beacon Street, right lane is closed.
- Expect delays at the North Beacon St. Bridge from 8:30am-4:00pm.
- North Beacon Street right lane closed from Soldier’s Field Road to Greenough Blvd. from 8:30am – 4:00pm.
- Extreme caution at intersection of North Beacon and Greenough with Walkers crossing the street from 8:30 am – 4:00pm.
- Greenough Boulevard between North Beacon and Arsenal Streets will be closed to vehicular traffic from 8:00am-4:00pm.
- Drivers are asked to use extreme caution on Arsenal St. at the intersection of Greenough Boulevard where Walkers will cross from 8:30am-4:00pm.
- Greenough Boulevard Westbound to Cambridge will have the right lane closed from 8:30am-6:00pm.
- Expect delays at the intersection of Greenough Blvd. and Gerry’s Landing Rd. at the Eliot Bridge and Cambridge Boat Club from 9:30am-5:30pm. Right lane will be closed.
- Parking restrictions at the Marsh Post from 1:00am – 6:00pm on May 7th.
- Parking restrictions at the Cambridge Boat Club on May 7th, from 1:00am – 6:00pm.
- Memorial Drive between Fresh Pond Parkway and Western Ave. will be closed to vehicular traffic from 11:00am – 7:00pm
- Parking restrictions at the Riverside Boat Club from 8am Saturday, May 6th to 7:00pm, Sunday, May 7th.
- Parking restrictions at the Magazine Pool Horseshoe Driveway from 5:00am to 8:00 pm on May 7th.
- Expect slow moving traffic on Memorial Drive from Western Ave. to Massachusetts Ave. from 9:30am-5:30pm.
- Expect delays at all intersecting streets.
- Expect delays on the Massachusetts Ave. Harvard Bridge inbound to Boston from 9:30am -5:30pm.
Parking Near Boston Common
Reserve your parking in advance and get there on time, stress free!
To book convenient and affordable parking, we recommend using SpotHero, the nation’s leading parking reservation app.
To reserve your parking spot today, visit the Walk for Hunger SpotHero Parking Page and book a spot with rates up to 50% off drive-up. You can also use SpotHero to park all over Boston —learn more here.
New to SpotHero? Download the SpotHero iPhone | Android app and enter promo code WFH49 for an extra $5 off your first park!
Please call or contact these garages directly to learn more about rates and availability.
The Boston Common Garage0 Charles StreetBoston, MA 02108http://massconvention.com/about-us/boston-common-garageHyatt Hotel617-912-12341 Avenue de Lafayette, Boston
Garage at 100 Clarendon100 Clarendon Street617-275-0151http://www.100clarendon.com/
Center Plaza Garage75 Somerset StreetBoston, MA 02108617-426-0604http://boston.lazparking.com/?np_lot=center-plaza-garage
One Beacon Street1 Beacon StreetBoston, MA 02108617-227-7220http://www.lazparking.com/local/boston-ma/one-beacon-garage
Taking the T
Red & Green: Park St.
- Please be aware, maintance will be taking place on the Red Line on Sunday, shuttle buses will replace the T between Alewife and Davis
Orange Line: Downtown Crossing
News and Events,
The Walk for Hunger,
Walkers & Teams