Our state’s annual report card on hunger reveals that 700,000 children and adults can’t confidently predict where their next meal is coming from—a number almost 40% higher than it was prior to the recession and almost 80% higher than at the beginning of the last decade.
Statistics are an important tool to help us gauge the need in our state, but the experiences of the people behind the numbers mean much more to Project Bread. This year’s report not only provides facts on hunger, but it also includes an inside look at people struggling with food insecurity.
Project Bread’s 2013 Status Report was based on data from the following sources.
- Allegretto, S., Doussard, M., Graham-Squire, D., Jacobs, K., Thompson, D., Thompson, J., Fast Food, Poverty Wages: The Public Cost of Low-Wage Jobs in the Fast-Food Industry, U.S. Berkeley Labor Center, 2013.
- American Community Survey, U.S. Census Bureau, 2012;
- Coleman-Jensen, A., Nord, M., Food Security Among Households With Working-Age Adults With Disabilities, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Report No. 144, January 2013.
- Coleman-Jensen, A., Nord, M., Carlson, S., Household Food Security in the United States in 2011, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Report No. 058, September 2012.
- Coleman-Jensen, A., Nord, M., Singh, A., Household Food Security in the United States in 2012, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Report No. 155, September 2013;
- Economic Independence Calculator, Crittenton Women’s Union, http://www.liveworkthrive.org/research_and_tools/economic_independence_calculator.
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD), FY13 Fair Market Rent values.
- Map the Meal Gap: Highlights of Findings for Overall and Child Food Insecurity 2011, Feeding America, 2013.
- Shepard, D., Setren, E., and Cooper, D., Hunger in America: Suffering We Are All Paying For, Center for American Progress, October 2011.
- Spotlight on Senior Hunger 2011, Feeding America and the National Foundation to End Senior Hunger, 2013.
- U.S. Bureau of Statistics, 2013.
- Who is Affected by the Minimum Wage? Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center, January 18, 2013.