FoodSource Hotline Counselor
Project Bread – The Walk for Hunger is a leading statewide organization committed to ending hunger for Massachusetts residents of all ages. In collaboration with key partners, we deploy a two-pronged approach to achieve this goal:
- Provide immediate relief to those who are hungry today
- Eradicate the systemic causes of hunger
To assist us in meeting our mission, Project Bread – The Walk for Hunger is seeking a FoodSource Hotline Counselor to join our team. Project Bread's FoodSource Hotline Counselor will serve as a front-line support to low-income callers seeking assistance with accessing affordable food, enrolling in SNAP, and obtaining other resources to address their hunger.
Supervisor: FoodSource Hotline Director
Supervises: No direct reports
The successful candidate for this role will be a reliable, compassionate, resilient team-player interested in the Hotline's mission and committed to excellent customer service. We are seeking to fill the Monday - Friday, 11:00am - 7:00pm shift.
- Screen callers to determine their eligibility for the food stamp program and assist callers over the phone to complete a SNAP application and explain needed verifications as well as what to expect during the application process.
- Provide information to current recipients, applicants, and social service agencies, regarding food stamp procedures, regulations, and rights.
- Refer those in immediate need to food resources such as food pantries, as well as other agencies that can assist with food and non-food related needs.
- Other projects as directed such as, attending Hunger Network Meetings, and other activities as assigned.
- Take part in Project Bread activities related to The Walk For Hunger including working the weekend of the Walk For Hunger.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or Portuguese strongly preferred
- Someone who enjoys a challenge, likes to learn, and thrives in a team environment
- Experience working with the public and/or call center experience a plus
- Ability to use discretion, remain professional under stressful situations, and multi-task
- Basic computer skills required
- BA/BS preferred, not required
Project Bread is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Please submit resume and cover letter, in MS Word or PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org.