Director of Development Operations
Project Bread is a leading statewide organization committed to preventing and ending hunger in Massachusetts. In collaboration with key partners, we provide immediate access to affordable, healthy food to those hungry today while also working to eradicate the causes of hunger through education, engagement, and advocacy.
Project Bread is a vibrant organization with a deep commitment to creating positive social change. We work in a fast-paced environment that values learning and an entrepreneurial approach. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, Project Bread is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Please be sure to submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
To assist us in meeting our mission, Project Bread is seeking a Director of Development Operations during a time of strategic growth across the organization.
The Director of Development Operations supports the fundraising of the organization by managing all donor data, tracking, and reporting on all fundraising campaigns. The Director of Development Operations reports to the Vice President of Development and Communications and supervises the Database Administrator.
Comprehensive Management of the donor database (Raisers Edge)
- Manage and maintain the integrity and accuracy of the database.
- Assess integrity of data and records.
- Audit data entry for errors or incorrect codes.
- Mark old appeals as inactive.
- Review addressee/salutations.
- Merge & delete records.
- Reconcile outstanding pledges
- Work closely with Gift Processing to ensure the accurate processing and acknowledgement of gifts, pledges, pledge payments, matching gifts, tribute gifts and all other donations.
- Conduct immediate and ongoing review of gift processing procedures and acceptance policies, gift acknowledgements, pledge reminders, etc., and make recommendations to ensure accuracy and compliance, maximize efficiency, and improve access to information.
- Maintain appropriate records of batches, paper files, and other records related to contributions.
- Establish and maintain solid procedures for data sync with Luminate Online through ImportOmatic.
- Oversee upgrade to RENXT.
- Serve as a liaison to technical support for Raiser’s Edge backups and updates.
- Work closely with Development Team to ensure the accuracy of the biographical data for all constituents.
- Provide support for fundraising activities including annual campaigns, cultivation and special events, mailing lists and other Project Bread initiatives as needed.
- Collaborate on design and plan for major gifts campaign.
- Evaluate annual fundraising and marketing strategies.
- Report on all fundraising campaigns.
- Analyze constituent behavior and patterns.
- Provide support to staff by assisting with the creation of reports and mailing lists.
- Provide end-user training to all Development and Walk staff on an on-going basis.
- Serve as the primary data contact for:
- Annual statements to donors.
- Direct Mail appeals.
- Newsletter mailings.
- Walk for Hunger recruitment mailings and phone campaigns.
- Walk for Hunger pledge form entry and import.
- Walk for Hunger Day-of Tabulation.
- Online appeals.
- Online mailing lists.
- Datasync between Convio and Raiser’s Edge.
- Work closely with Finance on the accurate reporting, allocation, and tracking of all financial transactions, including the monthly reconciliation of gifts.
- Support all requests related to the annual audit.
- Manage vendor relationships with the organization’s:
- Database software provider.
- Software plugins as applicable.
- Credit card processor.
- Lockbox vendor.
- Offsite storage facility.
- Direct mail firm as applicable.
- List brokers and data coops as applicable.
- Online fundraising software company as applicable.
- Mailhouses as applicable.
- Database and online strategy consultants.
- Manage the organization’s compliance with the:
- United States Postal Service and National Change of Address.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts fundraising regulations.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts privacy regulations.
- Internal Revenue Service fundraising regulations.
Analytics and Reporting
- Create all reports including gift reports (in conjunction with Gift Processing team), pipeline reports, fundraising reports, and performance metrics.
- Develop additional reports that are responsive to the needs of the team.
- Analyze data to enhance fundraising tactics and initiatives including annual fund, planned gifts and major gifts.
- Create Dashboards for team members to easily access topline information and to facilitate job performance.
- Develop strategies to prioritize the donor pool based on collected data.
ORGANIZATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND/OR SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in planning and evaluating the annual Walk for Hunger, including working as event staff the weekend of the Walk, and attending pre-Walk events as assigned.
- Participate in the annual Funded Agency site visit program as assigned.
- Participate in organization-wide events and meetings as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE / ATTRIBUTES
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We know people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- BA or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in a non-profit development role.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment while being flexible and detail-oriented.
- Must be able to work efficiently on several projects simultaneously and prioritize deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and computer skills required (especially Microsoft Excel and Word).
- Excellent writing and communications skills required.
- Raiser’s Edge and Convio (or equivalent online CRM) experience required.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project Bread is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, Project Bread is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership. Please contact Paul Higgins at email@example.com if you would like to request special accommodations during the interview process.