Project Bread is the state’s leading anti-hunger organization. Our vision is a Commonwealth of Massachusetts where all residents have reliable, consistent access to affordable, culturally appropriate, and healthy food. The organization has an annual operating budget of $8 million and 40 fulltime employees, including ten development and marketing staff. We strive to develop new ideas, new partners, and new ways of feeding hungry people. Grounded in the belief that hunger is a solvable problem, we conduct demonstration projects and communicate their results to bring them to scale. We have contributed an impressive list of “firsts” to the cause of feeding hungry people in Massachusetts.
Through Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger, the oldest continuous pledge walk in the country, we provide millions of dollars in grants each year to hundreds of emergency food programs statewide. We also champion programs year round that provide Massachusetts residents resources for sustainable access to healthy food through school meals, Summer Eats- free meals for kids and teens, and through SNAP application assistance and outreach at community health centers, as well as through our statewide Food Source hotline.
The Development Associate role is comprised of four key components:
The Development Associate reports to the Walk Director. This position is the primary support for individual participants and team captains for Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger. The Development Associate will both analyze data to develop an outreach strategy for the Walk, and then execute, acting as a fundraising coach and relationship manager for Walk participants. The position requires a dual ability to independently take initiative while working closely on small team. As an integral member of a team that plans and carries the Walk for Hunger to fruition, the Development Associate will be a critical point person and spokesperson for the Walk. The ideal candidate will have exemplary project management skills and attention to detail. To be considered, a candidate must be interested and committed to our mission of preventing and ending hunger in Massachusetts.
• Assist the Walk Director in developing a strategic plan and timeline for outreach and recruitment of participants
• Recruit, cultivate and motivate individuals to participate in and fundraise for Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger.
• Compile and design participant fundraising materials
• Write email content for participant communications
• Assist the communications team with the Walk for Hunger web pages and content management
• Establish and maintain personal contact with VIP participants and partners throughout year, providing ongoing customer service.
• Create and maintain thorough and detailed database records for participants in Raiser’s Edge
• Track and analyze walk data that will inform ongoing participant engagement strategy
• Be a point person for a specific pre-Walk assignment (such as T-shirts, charter buses, or speaking engagements)
• Work as event staff for The Walk for Hunger on the 1st Saturday (event setup) and Sunday (Walk) in May every year
• Schedule, coordinate and give presentations about food insecurity and the Walk for Hunger to interested groups.
• Perform warehouse support, mailings, and materials fulfillment
• Participate in the evaluation of the Walk for Hunger and all post-Walk follow-ups, including thank you outreach.
• Provide development support for non-walk initiatives as directed by supervisor
ORGANIZATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND/OR SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Participate in the annual Walk for Hunger, which includes working as event staff the weekend of the Walk, and attending pre-Walk events as assigned
• Participate in organization-wide events and meetings as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE / ATTRIBUTES
• BA or equivalent experience
• Excellent interpersonal, writing, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
• Exceptional customer service skills.
• Excellent public speaking skills.
• Superior skills in Microsoft Office suite, in particular Excel.
• Fundraising experience preferred.
• Proven ability to manage projects both in a team-environment and independently.
• Ability to lift heavy boxes and operate machinery with training.
• Raiser’s Edge or Luminate experience a plus.
To Apply: Please email a resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Project Bread is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on sexuality or gender identity